"Adopt a Cylinder" Program
It costs the library $60 to preserve a single cylinder, including rehousing, cataloging, and digitizing it for public access. We currently have a backlog of over 2,000 cylinders that are not yet digitized. In 2010 a grant from the GRAMMY Foundation® supported the digitization of over 1,000 cylinders, but there are still hundreds more to be preserved and digitized.
If you would like to "adopt" a cylinder, we will prioritize the digitization of a cylinder and put it online for you and others to listen to. A $60 tax deductible donation* to the cylinder project will ensure the preservation of the cylinder of your choice. Email project director at email@example.com to adopt a cylinder or send a check payable to "UC Regents" to:
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010
Currently, we only accept payment via check or wire transfer (no Paypal or credit cards at the current time). Please provide your name and city if you wish to be acknowledged as the adoptee of the cylinder.
The library thanks the following donors for adopting cylinders:
- Paul Abramson, Purchase, New York
- Ann Bailey, Vashon, Washington
- Katherine Beck, Seattle Washington
- Joseph and Lynda Berman, Athens, Ohio
- March Boccaccio/ London Concert Orchestra. Lambert: 948. 190-?.
- Joelle N. Bird, Camden, New Jersey
- Doug and Sharon Boilesen, Westminster, Colorado
- Jill Breedon, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Poet and peasant overture [Dichter und Bauer. Ouvertüre] / Suppe. National Military Band (London, England). Edison Blue Amberol 23001. 1913.
- Ken Davis, Dorchester Masachusettes
- Rob Deland & Susan Irion
- Christopher Dixon, Kokomo, Indiana
- Frederick Ellis, Folson, Louisiana
- Leigh Fullmer
- Rich Gardner
- Ma Tiger Lily / A. Baldwin Sloan. Peerless Orchestra. Edison Record: 7617. between 1896 and 1900.
- John Graff, Denver, Colo.
- Matthew Hahn
- Larry Hawes, Seattle Wash.
- Mark Hopkins and Virginia Anders, Santa Barbara, CA
- Thomas G. Hutchinson, Portland, Oregon
- Dianne L. Kryter, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Liebhaber Family, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Lucas Family, Jim Thorpe, Penna.
- Megan MacMillan, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Werner Moll, Mannheim, Germany
- Adrienne Naylor, in dedication to Jessica Hicks.
- James Robertson, Austin Texas
- James Robertson, in honor of J.D. Robertson, Pocola, Oklahoma
- David Seubert, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Neil Siegal, Glen Cove, New York
- Bruce Triggs, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Ward Irish Music Archives, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Dale R. Wein, Cleveland, Ohio
- Washington Post / John Philip Sousa. Performer not identified. PathĂ©: 40104. 190-.
*Only available for US taxpayers.
An initiative of the UC Santa Barbara Library • (805) 893-5444 • Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010. Direct questions or comments about the project or this page to the project staff or visit the help pages.
Like us on Facebook
Copyright and licensing information