Avrum Stroll, Professor of Philosophy, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California
- University of California, Santa Barbara. Office of Public Information
- Creation Date:
- Teachers and University of California, San Diego
- photographic prints, photographs, and portraits
Title from label on back. Date from stamp on back.
- [Item description]. University Archives photographs collection. UArch 112. Department of Special Research Collections, UC Santa Barbara Library, University of California, Santa Barbara.
Avrum Stroll Professor of Philosophy, San Diego. The Meaning of Censorship -- Some of the questions about the meaning of "right" and "know," asking whether some private sector of human behavior can, or ought, to be given something which is public. what is meant by censorship, and is it ever justifiable in a democratic society? Who are, or ought to be, the members of the governing community for such a society? A native of Oakland, California, Professor Stroll graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a major in Philosophy and a minor in Oriental Languages. He received his Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1951 from the same campus. During the Second World War he served with the U.S. armed forces as a Japanese language interpreter. He has taught at four Universities: British Columbia, Oregon, Iowa, and the University of California at San Diego. He has pursued his research with grants from the Koerner Foundations, the Canada Council, and the Nuffield Foundation, and has been a member of the executive (?) of the American Philosophical Association (Pacific Division). His publications include the following books and monographs: The Emotive Theory of Ethics, Philosophy Made Simple (with E.N. Popkin), Reason and Religious Belief, and Introduction to Philosophy (with Popkin); he has also published in numerous periodicals in his field.
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph : print ; sheet 26 x 21 cm
- Still Image
- University Archives photographs collection
- Series I. Photographs. Subseries D. Goleta Campus
- Events: Lectures, c. 1963-1966
- Library Location:
- Department of Special Research Collections
- Local Identifier:
- In Copyright
- Copyright Holder:
- University of California (System). Regents
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks (contact the department of Special Research Collections at the UC Santa Barbara Library for more information). Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.